As the Fourth of July holiday is upon us, many are starting to make plans to celebrate this special summer holiday in Ocean City. From what to do to how to plan for your upcoming Fourth of July barbecue, OCNJ Happenings has you covered!
Fourth of July Events
- Ocean City Farmers Market: Start the Fourth of July holiday off right by making a stop at the weekly Farmers Market on the Tabernacle grounds, located on the 500 block of Asbury Avenue. The Farmers Market runs from 8 a.m.–1 p.m. and provides the perfect one-stop-shopping option for all of your Fourth of July barbecue and party needs. Fresh produce, cut flowers, pickles, olives, preserves and more are yours for the taking at this popular outdoor market. Craft and artisan vendors are sure to have the ideal hostess gift for you to bring to a friend or family member’s house later in the day, too.
- July 4th Bike Parades: Two bike parades will be taking place on July 4, one in the Gardens neighborhood at the north end of the island sponsored by the Gardens Civic Association, starting at the Longport Bridge parking lot, and one on the south end of the island at 40th Street and Asbury Avenue, sponsored by the South Ocean City Improvement Association. Registration starts at 9 a.m. and the parade starts at 10 a.m., for both bike parades. Participants of all ages will decorate their bikes and take part in a festive parade through the respective neighborhoods.
- Wacky Wednesday Pie-Eating Contest: Take part in the fun cherry and apple pie-eating contest at the Music Pier, located at Moorlyn Terrace and Boardwalk, at 10:30 a.m. The contest is free and open to all ages. Just be sure to get there early as the contest is limited to 150 participants.
- “A Star Spangled Salute” Performance by the Ocean City Theatre Company’s Spotlight Performers Show Choir: At 6 p.m., the Ocean City Theatre Company‘s show choir will present a mini-show celebrating America’s birthday. All of the singing and performing will take place in front of the Music Pier at Moorlyn Terrace and Boardwalk.
- Kite Flying Contest and Fireworks Display: A kite flying competition will take place on the beach at 7 p.m. and the exciting fireworks display will light up the sky starting at 9 p.m.
Where to Find Your Fourth of July Party Necessities
In addition to taking part in the events mentioned above, many Ocean City residents and vacationers will be hosting parties and barbecues at their homes for friends and family members. Looking for spots to pick up some party necessities? Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Party food platters: Blitz’s Market, Boyar’s Food Market and Bennie’s Bread are great spots to visit for party food platters and plentiful light bites. Just be sure to call ahead to ensure that they can get your desired party platters ready in time for the Fourth of July festivities!
- Sweets and desserts: Wards Pastry, Mallon’s and Shriver’s are good choices for desserts and candies, certain to please the sweet tooth guests in the crowd.
- Adult beverages: Since Ocean City is a dry town, you’ll have to head over the bridge for your desired libations. Fortunately, Circle Liquor Store over the 9th Street bridge and Boulevard Super Liquors over the 34th Street bridge are nice and close, and the selection at both spots is extensive, from beer to wine to spirits.
- Party supplies and servingware: Hoy’s 5 and 10 is a great one-stop-shop for party supplies and servingware. From table setting items to holiday décor options, Hoy’s 5 and 10 has a wide array of party offerings to make your Fourth of July gathering a success.
Wishing you all a safe and fun Fourth of July in Ocean City!