The weekend we’ve been eagerly anticipating, Memorial Day weekend, is upon us!
It’s been a long winter and this weekend offers a chance to embrace the upcoming summer festivities along with honoring those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country. Memorial Day weekend in Ocean City introduces the unofficial start to summer and this means that our favorite seasonal restaurants and shops will be opening their doors once again.
The following will highlight some seasonal openings and detail Memorial Day weekend activities throughout the town, including the must-attend Memorial Day service at the Ocean City Tabernacle.
Unlocking of the Ocean and Businsessperson’s Plunge
To kick off Memorial Day weekend, the city will be hosting its annual beachside event, the Unlocking of the Ocean and the Businessperson’s Plunge. This fun event will unfold at noon today, Friday, May 24, on the Moorlyn Terrace Street beach next to the Ocean City Music Pier. This annual event includes the ceremonial unlocking of the ocean for the summer season and features local vendors and business owners in business dress going for a celebratory swim as the Ocean City High School Marching Band plays “Pomp and Circumstance.”
All are welcome to attend and are encouraged to gather at the Music Pier starting at 11:30 a.m. The ceremony today will also include the recognition of an extremely important donation of a defibrillator by the local Coast Guard Auxiliary. The new defibrillator will be set up outside of the Music Pier and provide easy access to this important emergency medical equipment, should it be necessary to do so.
Ocean City Beach Patrol to Begin Guarding Beaches on Saturday, May 25
Starting Saturday, May 25, the Ocean City Beach Patrol will be out on the beaches protecting the community as residents and visitors enjoy the first pre-summer swim in the Atlantic Ocean. The guarded beaches will be limited in number pre-season and include the following beaches from Saturday, May 25, through Friday, May 29:
- St. Charles Place
- Brighton Place
- 8th Street
- 9th Street
- 10th Street
- 11th Street
- 12th Street
- 26th Street
- 34th Street
- 58th Street
The beaches are guarded during the hours of 10 a.m.–5:30 p.m. on weekends and 10 a.m.–5 p.m. on weekdays.
Be safe and only swim at guarded beaches during OCBP hours.
Now Open: Seasonal Restaurants and Shops to Visit
Although some of our favorite restaurants and shops have been open year-round or had their seasonal opening around the time of the Spring Block Party weekend, others are just now putting out their awnings and opening their doors to the dining and shopping crowds. Some of your favorite seasonal spots which are now open or will open during Memorial Day weekend include the following:
- Santucci’s: The moment we’ve been waiting for is now here! Santucci’s will be open today, Friday, May 24, at their new location at 944 Boardwalk.
- Bungalow Bowls: The team at Bungalow Bowls (1054 Asbury) is opening a second location on the boardwalk and is hoping to open the new shop this Saturday, May 25. This is still tentative, but be sure to check out the new location at 816 Boardwalk this weekend to see if the doors are open.
- Heart Beet Kitchen: Heart Beet Kitchen is open for the season in Ocean City. You can find all of your healthy and delicious dining options at Heart Beet Kitchen, located at 801 8th Street.
- Playa Bowls: Playa Bowls opened its doors for the season last week and will be serving up acai bowls, poke bowls, and other culinary delicacies at its location in the Promenade Food Court at 744 Boardwalk.
- Mallon’s Homemade Sticky Buns: Now open daily, starting at 7 a.m., Mallon’s at 1340 Bay Avenue will be serving up all of its popular sweet treats for the summer crowd to enjoy.
- Blitz’s Market: The second Blitz’s Market at 2100 Asbury Avenue is now open for the season.
- Salty Seahorse: This new home decor and jewelry boutique opened its doors at 714 Asbury Avenue a few weeks ago and the Salty Seahorse is a shop you’re going to want to visit!
- Beach Bucket Lunch: Spending the day on the beach and didn’t have a chance to pack lunch? No problem! Beach Bucket Lunch starts its lunch delivery service for the season today, Friday, May 24.
- Crunchik’n: Crunchik’n is open for the season at 1348 Boardwalk and you can once again indulge in all of your menu favorites at this popular boardwalk eatery, including their exceptional Korean fried chicken with a wide array of sauces.
Dancing for Hailey Lemonade Stands
When driving, walking, or riding your bike around town this weekend, be sure to be on the lookout for Dancing for Hailey lemonade stands. Purchase a nice cold glass of lemonade and see your donation go to Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation! Some of the lemonade stand spots scheduled for Saturday, May 25, are as follows:
- Acme (8th and West): 9–11 a.m.
- Local Gym and Fitness (908 Asbury Ave.): 11 a.m.–1 p.m.
- Randazzo’s (34th and Asbury): 11 a.m.–1 p.m.
Memorial Day Service at the Ocean City Tabernacle
And, the most important reason for this weekend is to honor those who have lost their lives fighting for our wonderful country and protecting our freedom. Don’t miss the Memorial Day Service on Monday, May 27, at the Ocean City Tabernacle (550 Wesley Avenue) at 11 a.m. The service will include special guest speakers and the opportunity for the community to come together and honor those who have served.