Super Bowl LIII is almost here and now is the time to start figuring out what tasty culinary bites you’ll be serving to friends and family members at your house, as well as other Super Bowl viewing party necessities you’ll need to have on hand.
The following provides some ideas as to where to visit for food, party necessities, football-themed products and more in Ocean City and on the mainland.
- Charlie’s Bar: The word “football” conjures up thoughts of spicy Buffalo wings drenched in a zesty sauce and served up in piles on the dining room table. Charlie’s Bar at 800 Shore Road in Somers Point is your go-to spot for sensational hot wings. Choose from 13-count, 35-count or 60-count batches of wings with a variety of flavor options available, including Tail Gun (mild), Top Gun (extremely hot), Southwest (Charlie’s secret BBQ), Scampi (garlic) and Stinger Sauce (tangy honey garlic). Charlie’s Bar also offers additional Super Bowl light bites that you’ll want to bring home, including chicken fingers, nachos, potato skins and more.
- Blitz’s Market: Blitz’s Market, located at 3360 Asbury Avenue, is offering a wide array of party trays for Super Bowl Sunday. Place your order with Blitz’s Market before the big game and bring home party trays filled with hoagies, sausage with peppers and onions and more!
- Randazzo’s: Randazzo’s at 34th and Asbury will be offering a wide array of Super Bowl specials on Sunday, in addition to the regular menu. Some of the specials include pizza/chicken wing/garlic knot combos with soda, Grandma’s Sicilian pizza with soda and more. You can pick up your order at Randazzo’s or have it delivered to your home in Ocean City, the choice is yours.
- Bennie’s Bread: Bennie’s Bread at 1159 Asbury Avenue is open on weekends during the winter season and is ready and waiting for your Super Bowl Sunday catering order. Order trays of culinary delicacies to feed the masses or stop by to pick up some freshly-baked rolls, chicken fingers and some other game day necessities. Some of the must-have items on the Bennie’s Bread menu include slow-roasted pork shoulder, tomato pie, stuffed breads and more!
- Hoy’s 5 & 10: Visit Hoy’s 5 & 10 at 732 Asbury Avenue for paper products, party accessories and home goods items, sure to make your Super Bowl soiree even better than you possibly could have imagined.
- Circle Liquor Store: A Super Bowl party is even better with delicious craft beers, cocktails and wine offerings. Circle Liquors over the 9th Street bridge has an extensive selection of all of these items and more. Be sure to stock up before the party begins!
- Boulevard Super Liquors: Another fabulous Super Bowl adult beverage spot to pick up all of your drink necessities is Boulevard Liquors over the 34th Street bridge. As with Circle Liquors you’ll find all of your favorite beverage offerings lining the shelves and stocked in the coolers.
Have a great Super Bowl Sunday and enjoy this time with family and friends!
The streets and boardwalk in Ocean City are filled with fabulous shopping options, ideal for getting all of your holiday gift purchases completed this year. From the sports enthusiast to the fashion-savvy gift recipient, Ocean City shops and boutiques offer a wide array of items, perfect for all individuals on your gift list.
The following ABC’s of holiday shopping will help to point you in the right direction as to finding the right gifts for all of your friends and loved ones:
- Artwork: For those on your gift list who would love nothing more than to receive a lovely painting or ceramic art piece this year, visit the Ocean City Fine Arts League or Ocean City Arts Center and peruse the possibilities. There are a wide range of art-related offerings at both spots, many of which are created by local artists.
- Bath and Body Products: Scented soaps, luxury lotions and other fragrant bath options can be found at spots such as Artisan Body Products, Blue Lotus and Stainton’s, to name a few shops around town which specialize in bath and body goods.
- Culinary Gifts: The foodies on your gift list will adore the options you choose for them from the wide array of culinary-related shops in Ocean City. Pick up some olive oil, balsamic vinegar and accompaniments from City2Shore Gourmet, some caramel corn from Johnson’s Popcorn, fudge and candy from Rauhauser’s and sticky buns from Mallon’s. Then, wrap it all up in a gorgeous gift basket and mark your foodie friend off as “completed” on your holiday list.
- Dining Gift Cards: In keeping with the culinary gifts listed above, those who enjoy dining out, and good food in general, will be thrilled to receive one or more gift cards from the exceptional restaurants in town. Some of the eateries offering gift cards include Jon and Patty’s, Randazzo’s and more. Have a favorite dining establishment in Ocean City? Pop in and ask if they offer gift cards which you can purchase for your friends and family members!
- Entertainment Gifts: For the gift recipients on your list who love a night out on the town filled with entertainment, consider giving them tickets to one or more shows at the Music Pier. A wide array of shows are held year-round, ranging from fabulous local productions, courtesy of the Greater Ocean City Theatre Company, to city-presented shows, like the Mr. Mature America competition held each spring, to national acts, such as Blues Traveler, The Beach Boys, Citizen Cope and others. Peruse the current ticket offerings online.
- Fitness: Fitness aficionados are sure to appreciate fitness-related gifts in their stockings this year. Many of the local gyms offer memberships and gym passes of a wide variety (which make the perfect fitness-themed gift), such as Local Gym and Fitness, Atilis Gym and Exodus Sport and Fitness.
- Garden Gifts: For the gardening gurus on your list, stop into Hearth & Sole to pick up a unique piece of garden art or head over to Wallace Hardware for some gardening tools to wrap up in pretty bows and packaging.
- Holiday Décor: Whether searching for items to decorate your home this holiday season or seeking out the perfect holiday-themed gift for friends and loved ones, you’ll find plentiful options along Asbury Avenue, including the holiday-inspired shop, Mia’s Christmas Gallery.
- Inspirational Gifts: For many individuals, giving is even better than receiving, throughout the holiday season and beyond. Whether this is your motto or that of those on your gift list, consider making a donation to a local charity organization or church in your name (if it’s for you) or your friend or family member’s name, which supports the local community and is a gift which keeps on giving.
- Join a Club, Dance Studio or Organization: A multitude of activities are available in Ocean City throughout the year and offer fun and educational options for children and adults to enjoy. Why not purchase a dance class session at The Dance Place for a child on your gift list or sign a family member up for a membership or class at the Ocean City Aquatic and Fitness Center? Not only will they enjoy their time at the classes, but they will learn a new skill, too.
- Keepsake Items: Although sweaters, socks and pajamas are perfect for keeping us warm and cozy in the winter (and will hopefully be one or two of my gifts this year!), it’s also a nice idea to give keepsake items as gifts. Some of the spots you can visit for keepsake gifts include The Flying Carp, Stainton’s and the Cricket Box.
- Locally-Made Gifts: In addition to shopping for the family and your close friends, it’s also nice to support local businesses and artisans by purchasing locally-made gifts. Fortunately, quite a few shops in Ocean City offer goods made locally, including Peace of Wood and the Ocean City Fine Arts League (“Art on Asbury”).
- Music and Musical Instruments: There is never a bad time to support the arts and purchase music and musical instruments. Fortunately, local music shop GrassRoots Music Store is able to answer the call with a wide array of musical instruments, accessories, vinyls and more.
- Nautical Gifts: As a seaside town, it’s no wonder that you’ll find plenty of spots in which to purchase nautical-themed gifts. Whether you’re thinking about purchasing a kayak, whereby quite a few local retailers can help, including Dak’s and Harbor Outfitters, or are more in market for nautical home décor, where Interiors by Joann can lend a hand, you’re certain to find what you’re searching for in town.
- Outdoor Activities: Outdoor activities are readily available in Ocean City. Surf lessons, kayaking tours, SUP tours and more keep residents and vacationers entertained as well as enable them to learn a new activity, if they are new to a particular sport. Shops around town offer seasonal lessons and tours and a gift of a surf lesson or kayak tour is a unique gift option to pursue. Visit Heritage Surf and Sport (now offering discounts on surf lessons and summer surf camps!), 7th Street Surf Shop, Dak’s and Harbor Outfitters for some more ideas as to how to gift a lesson or tour to that someone special.
- Pet Products: You can’t possibly forget about that favorite furry family member on your list! Visit Animal House for some pet-oriented products for your favorite furry someone. And, if you wish to give a donation in a gift recipient’s name, Mew to You (part of Cape Atlantic C.A.T.S.) always accepts donations to provide food, products and medical care to the cats which call Mew to You home until they find their forever home.
- Quick Bite to Eat: Okay, so now’s a good time to remember to enjoy all that Ocean City dining establishments have to offer. At some point during your shopping spree, remember to visit the local eateries for a quick snack or meal before you head back out on the shopping trail. Whether you’re craving donuts and coffee from Drip N’ Scoop or want to sit down at Ocean City Café for lunch, remember to refuel and then let the shopping continue!
- Reading Fans: For that special someone who loves a good book, visit Sun Rose Words & Music, Hoy’s 5 & 10 and The Bookateria Two to check out the selection.
- Skateboards and Surfboards: If you’re thinking that a skateboard or surfboard would be the ideal gift for your loved one, visit Heritage Surf and Sport, 7th Street Surf Shop and Peace of Wood to see what options are available for those who’d like to see a skateboard or surfboard wrapped up in holiday paper this year.
- Toys: Toys are sure to be on your gift list, whether purchasing items for your kids, other family members or children of friends. Hoy’s 5 & 10 and Kay Jay’s Doll Shoppe are great places to start your shopping venture.
- Unique Clothing and Accessory Items: It can easily be stated that each and every business on the island has a unique factor to it, which is one of the many things which residents and vacationers love about Ocean City. For a few ideas as to where to find unique outfits and accessories, try Ta-Dah, Colette, Marty’s, Henry’s, Blue Lotus, B & B, Bowfish Kids and Seagrass Boutique, to name a few to get you started.
- Variety of Gift Items in One Location: For those who are big fans of one-stop shopping, you’ll find a variety of gift items in one set location when you visit either Hoy’s 5 & 10 or Stainton’s. Hoy’s has a lot of something for everyone within its spacious store and Stainton’s features plentiful amounts of individual vendors, such as Pumpkinbuds, The Cricket Box and other one-of-a-kind artisan sellers.
- Warm Weather Accessories: One can never go wrong by gifting warm weather accessories (unless the gift recipient lives in a warm weather climate 365/24/7, that is). From cozy, cotton sweaters to colorful scarves, you’ll find plenty of warm weather accessories at the shops in Ocean City. Any of the clothing stores listed above are certain to have a good inventory of warm weather goods to wrap up for your friends and loved ones this year.
- (E)Xcellent Items to Wow Your Holiday Guests: As a majority of your shopping may be gift-giving-based, don’t forget to pick up some niceties to have around the house for when your holiday guests arrive for dinner, cocktails or other gatherings. Stainton’s has a lot of options, where individual vendors sell items such as candles, hand towels, holiday dining items and other entertaining necessities you should have on hand.
- Yoga Gifts: Yoga is extremely popular for a wide array of reasons, including for the benefit of the mind, body and soul, and is why many individuals take part in yoga activities daily. A gift certificate to a local yoga studio, such as Yoga Ginger or Golden Buddha Yoga, provides an ideal gift for your friends and family members who wish to continue with yoga or try it for the first time.
- Zen Gifts: Gifts which promote inner peace are always welcome options for those of your friends and family members who strive for overall calm and serenity. A gift certificate for Basalt Bodywork, which specializes in massage therapy, is a wonderful way to help your loved ones relax after a busy holiday season.
These are just a few of the places to stop in and purchase gifts this holiday season. The town is filled with excellent shopping options of all varieties and you are sure to find exciting and unique gifts in all of the shops as you walk around town and along the boardwalk.
If you are an Ocean City business owner and your store is not listed above, I welcome you to list your shop’s name in the comment section below and note which category you would like your store to be listed under. I am more than happy to add!
With all of the wonderful Ocean City shops available to you, getting your holiday shopping done is an easily achievable goal.
Grab your skateboards and head to the Ocean City Skate Park on Saturday, November 10, at 10 a.m., for the Skate for Joy Skateboarding Competition, a fundraising event to benefit local resident Joy Geller Simmerman in her fight with cancer.
The skateboard competition registration is $10 per person and all skill levels are invited to take part in the contest, with categories including beginner, intermediate, advanced, girls and bowl jam. Registration starts at 10 a.m. and the skateboarding competition begins at 11 a.m.
All are welcome to attend this extraordinary fundraising event, presented by the Ocean City Skate Club and Team Havoc. In addition to the skate competition, there will be live music, food offerings, a bake sale and more. Best of all, the proceeds raised during the event will benefit Joy Geller Simmerman and her family.
The Ocean City Firefighters Association is continuing with their philanthropic activities this month as they once again host the annual Glow Ball Golf event at Greate Bay Country Club to benefit Operation First Response.
This year’s event will take place on Thursday, September 27, and feature an evening of six holes of glow ball golf, glow ball supplies, BBQ and after party at the pub. The cost to take part in this fabulous fundraising event is $65 per person and all proceeds will directly benefit Operation First Response, a nonprofit organization which provides financial and personal support to wounded heroes/disabled veterans and their families.
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to help raise funds to support our military members and veterans. Take part in the Glow Ball Golf fundraiser on September 27 by contacting Steve Constantino at (609) 602-2818 or (609) 525-9182 and register for this fantastic event.
Looking to help raise more money for Operation First Response? The annual Walk for the Wounded will take place on Saturday, September 22, on the Ocean City boardwalk and all proceeds will benefit this extraordinary organization!
The Humane Society of Ocean City, located at 1 Shelter Road, is the city’s no-kill animal adoption center. This nonprofit organization has been around since 1964 and operates on a mission to find homes for homeless pets and provide veterinary care services to pets in the area.
In order to keep this nonprofit up and running and able to do its wonderful work throughout Ocean City, a variety of fundraising events are held throughout the year. The next fundraising event for the Humane Society of Ocean City is a golf outing at Greate Bay Country Club in Somers Point on Thursday, September 6.
From noon–7 p.m., join fellow golfers for a day on the course, playing in a friendly fundraising golf game. For $135 per golfer and $500 per foursome, participants will enjoy 18 holes of golf, lunch, snacks, beverages on the course, dinner, live music and fun throughout the day. Hole sponsorship and cart sponsorship opportunities are also available. Most importantly, all proceeds from this event will directly benefit the Humane Society of Ocean City.
Registration begins at noon with the shotgun start at 1 p.m. Participants will have full access to Greate Bay Country Club throughout this exciting and worthwhile fundraising event.
For more information on joining in on the fundraising golf outing fun, visit the Humane Society of Ocean City website and Facebook page.
Head down to the Ocean City Skateboard Park today, Friday, July 27, from 11 a.m.–4 p.m., for the 2nd Annual Chip Miller Skate Fest, presented by Sector 9 Skateboards.
This year’s event will feature an 80’s theme and skaters will compete in a variety of divisions to win prizes and, most importantly, raise money for the Chip Miller Amyloidosis Foundation.
For $20 per entry, skateboarders can show off their moves and compete in competitions, such as Highest Ollie, Most 360’s, Best Power Slide and more. Lunch and refreshments are being provided by the Ocean City Police Department.
Whether you want to get in on the skateboarding action or simply want to watch the friendly competition unfold for a great cause, the Chip Miller Skate Fest is a fabulous Ocean City event to attend today.
On Friday, July 20, from 8 a.m.–4 p.m., grab your surfboard and head to 7th Street beach in Ocean City, New Jersey, for the 15th Annual Chip Miller Surf Fest.
This annual event returns once again to the beaches of Ocean City to raise money for the Chip Miller Amyloidosis Foundation (CMAF), an organization which was founded in 2004 in the memory of Chip Miller, who raised his family in Ocean City. The purpose of the organization is to raise funds for the fight against amyloidosis with a mission to “empower people with the knowledge and understanding of amyloidosis for earlier detection, ensuring a better quality of life for those afflicted with the disease and to help science find the cures.”
Local New Jersey pro, Rob Kelly, will be on hand at the event along with other well-known surfers from the local area and beyond. Registration will begin at 7:30 a.m. with the competition unfolding at 8:30 a.m. In addition to watching some of the best surfers on the East Coast compete in this unforgettable surfing competition, attendees will enjoy perusing surfing vendor items, such as clothing, boards and accessories, checking out free apparel launches and more.
The cost to take part in the surfing competition is $40 for the first entry and $10 for each additional entry. Online registration is available here.
Lend a hand to the CMAF and enjoy a friendly surfing competition for a cause on July 20. Not a surfer? No worries! Attend the Surf Fest and check out the latest and greatest in the surfing community while supporting an excellent cause at the same time.
Ocean City is lucky enough to have a USL Premier Development League (PDL) soccer team, the Ocean City Nor’easters, call the city home.
The Ocean City Nor’easters holds its home games at the conveniently-located Carey Stadium, a.k.a. The Beach House, situated right next to Gillian’s Wonderland Pier at Sixth Street and Boardwalk. The season runs from May through mid-July and home games take place at 7 p.m. on various nights throughout the summer.
Tickets are available for $10 each and taking in an Ocean City Nor’easters game not only provides an excellent entertainment option, ideal for the whole family, but offers a way to support the local soccer team, a team which is always lending a hand to the local community and attending events throughout the year.
Take a peek at the upcoming home game schedule and plan your next visit to Carey Stadium for a night of exciting live soccer action!