As we head into Memorial Day weekend, it’s fair to say that this year’s festivities will be a little bit different from past years. But, there are still plenty of ways to enjoy the weekend, albeit with a few changes in place. From takeout dining options to curbside pickup at your favorite Ocean City businesses, here are some must-visit spots to put on your list this Memorial Day weekend:
From pizza slices to dinner entrees to sweet treats, you’ll find a lot of options to choose from when you order takeout from the following Ocean City eateries:
- Bob’s Grill: Offering takeout menu items, hot donuts, and bike and surrey rentals
- Roma Pizza: $3.99 special includes one plain pizza slice and small fountain drink (toppings extra); $5 off any pizza pie; other menu items available for takeout
- OC Surf Cafe: Open for takeout, Friday-Monday, 8 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Sack O’ Subs: Open for takeout and offering regular menu plus daily specials
- Randazzo’s: Offering takeout/free delivery; Try their delicious garlic knots this weekend!
- Jon and Patty’s: Open for takeout and delivery; Try their new online ordering system for easy ordering; Open daily, 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Donny’s Family Kitchen: Open for takeout, lunch and dinner, 11:30 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Kessel’s Korner: Open for takeout; Get a delicious milkshake and sandwich to-go!
- Spadafora’s: Open 11:30 a.m.-7:30 p.m.; You can order online for takeout, request delivery, or visit the store for curbside pickup and in-store retail purchases (for in-store purchases, there will be a one-in, one-out system in place for proper social distancing); Be sure to try their lobster mac and steamer pots!
- Yoasis: Open at 9 a.m. daily for healthy and delicious treats
- The Hula Restaurant: Open and offering regular menu items plus tons of great specials, such as the Alaskan snow crab and Thai BBQ scallops options
- Topsail Steamer: Order a seafood steamer pot to cook up and enjoy at home
- Cathy’s 14th Street Bakery: Cathy’s 14th Street Bakery is open and ready to serve up fabulous donuts and sweet treats this Memorial Day weekend
- Dot’s Pastry Shop: Dot’s is open every day at 7 a.m. Order the day prior for curbside pickup or visit the store for your favorites each day (three people in the store at a time)
- Pork Island Grill: Who’s craving barbecue this Memorial Day weekend? If so, visit Pork Island Grill and order all of your favorite culinary dishes for takeout
- Ward’s Pastry: From butter cake to creative cookies, Ward’s Pastry has your sweet treat needs covered this weekend
- Mallon’s: Known for their famous sticky buns, you know where to go when you want sweet and delicious sticky buns in Ocean City
Shopping with Curbside Pickup
Local shops on the boardwalk and Asbury Avenue are offering curbside pickup for all your Memorial Day weekend shopping needs. Here are some stores that are ready, willing, and able to answer the call this weekend:
- Peace of Wood: Peace of Wood will be open this weekend for curbside pickup, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. daily. They’re also offering a new, extremely cool item which the whole family is sure to love: Paint Jams to Go! $15 per kit provides you with everything you need to make some creative masterpieces in the comfort of your own home. Shop online and curbside pickup the same day.
- B&B: Offering curbside pickup for all your clothing and home decor needs
- 7th Street Surf Shop: Offering curbside pickup and FaceTime shopping appointments
- Ocean Treasures: Open Memorial Day weekend for curbside shopping on the boardwalk
- Hearth and Sole: Hearth and Sole has everything you need to make your MDW festivities complete! All items are available for curbside pickup. Call the store for an appointment to shop.
- SunSmiles Sandals and Beachwear: Get ready for summer by ordering a new swimsuit and sandals from SunSmiles. Curbside pickup is available throughout the weekend
Now that you have some restaurants and shops to visit this Memorial Day weekend, here are a few additional bits of information to know:
- All amusements and arcades are still closed.
- Dine-in options still unavailable.
- Beach tags are now on sale online and in person at the following locations: City Hall, Music Pier box office window, Route 52 Causeway Welcome Center, Henry Knight Building, and 34th Street Information Center.
- Beach tags required for beachgoers ages 12+, June 6-Sept. 7, 2020.
Most importantly, as we head into Memorial Day weekend, it’s important to remember what this weekend is truly about and that’s remembering our military members who lost their lives fighting for this country. Thank you for your service and making the ultimate sacrifice while serving.
Another new restaurant just opened its doors in Ocean City: Donny’s Family Kitchen!
Located at 738 Wesley Avenue, in the spot formerly occupied by Romeo’s Pizza, Donny’s Family Kitchen is now open for takeout and free delivery. The new restaurant is currently serving lunch and dinner items, including the following:
- Traditional chicken wings
- Specialty pizzas, including white Neapolitan, meat lovers, buffalo chicken, veggie, the always-favorite cheese pizza, and more
- Philly cheesesteaks
- Chicken parmagiana
- Linguini with chicken and broccoli
- And so much more!
The current hours at Donny’s Family Kitchen are 11:30 a.m.–8 p.m. daily. From the looks of the menu, it appears breakfast items will also be an option as the season progresses, so be on the lookout for updated hours and menu inclusions!
Show your support for the newest Ocean City eatery today! Place your takeout or delivery order by calling 609-391-0009 or, for iPhone users, download the Heartland Guest App on your mobile device and add Donny’s Family Kitchen for easy ordering.
It’s official! Pork Island Grill is now open in Ocean City!
The moment the Ocean City dining crowd has been waiting for has arrived. Pork Island Grill, located at 3401 Asbury Avenue, has opened its doors and is now serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Ready to see what awaits you at Pork Island Grill? Here are some of the delicious entrees and sides you’re going to want to try at this new Ocean City eatery:
- Waffles and pancakes
- Pork Island Eggs Benedict
- Breakfast sandwiches
- Fried pickles
- Pork Island cheesesteak
- Roast beef and provolone sandwich
- Smoked spare ribs
- BBQ pulled chicken sandwich
- Pulled pork sandwich
- BBQ combo platters
- And so much more!
Hungry yet? If so, now’s a great time to start planning your next meal with Pork Island Grill. Check out the menu and place your order by phone (609-398-OINK (6465)) or online to order these barbecue delicacies for takeout or delivery. They even have an app on the Apple App Store iPhone users can download and use!
Pork Island Grill is open 8 a.m.–8 p.m. daily.
Congratulations to the Pork Island Grill team on the grand opening!
Photo credit: Pork Island Grill
With Memorial Day quickly approaching and full access to Ocean City beaches taking place on May 16, many restaurants and stores are opening their doors. They want to be ready, willing, and able to offer takeout and delivery services to residents and visitors at the start of the season. In addition to seasonal businesses opening, there are also some new spots you’re going to want to check out.
Here’s a list of the seasonal and new stores and restaurants opening the doors for takeout, delivery, and curbside pickup:
Now’s the perfect time to start thinking about what takeout items you’re going to enjoy first!
Although Mother’s Day is still one week away, with social distancing and virtual gatherings taking place it’s a good idea to think ahead this Mother’s Day. This is especially true if you have to order items online to be delivered to that special woman in your life. Fortunately, many Ocean City stores make gift-giving, whether in-person or from afar, an easily achievable feat.
Here are some gift ideas to consider for Mother’s Day presents this year:
These are just a few of the many extraordinary Mother’s Day gift possibilities in Ocean City. Check out the individual store websites and social media pages for further details and additional gift ideas!
This year’s popular annual Ocean City Spring Block Party was supposed to unfold on Saturday, May 2. Unfortunately, the in-person event has been canceled. But, on the bright side, there’s a way to shop online from the comfort and safety of your own home now that the Ocean City Spring Block Party has gone virtual.
On Saturday, May 2, Ocean City is hosting a Virtual Ocean City Spring Block Party that includes Ocean City store owners. Here are some of the latest deals posted on the Ocean City Virtual Spring Block Party event page:
- Cruise Control Gear: Cruise Control Gear is offering 25% off all weekend with the code “LoveOCNJ”; Live Facebook shopping event at 10 a.m. on May 2
- Kay Jay’s Doll Shoppe: 20% off storewide (use code: VBP2020); curbside pickup available; phone and email orders accepted
- LEH Soap Company: 20% off certain items with the code “SPRINGSALE”; all orders over $50 ship for free
- Creative Window Design: $100 off custom window treatment purchase of $1,500 or more; purchase must be made during block party weekend
- Lucky Find: $38 hoop earrings in crystal, pearl, and sterling silver with ten beautiful colors to choose from; order by phone
- Ike’s Famous Crabcakes: Open for delivery and curbside pickup beginning this weekend, May 2 and 3; Use code “BLOCKPARTY” and receive 15% off your restaurant, marketplace, and online store orders May 2 and 3
- Downtown Pilates: When the weekend shopping is complete and you need to unwind after all that web surfing and buying, remember to visit the Downtown Pilates website for free weekly livestream pilates classes on Mondays
- The Spotted Whale: 30% off all rugs with the code “Rugs30”
- And more!
Keep checking back to the Ocean City Virtual Spring Block Party Facebook page for updates on Ocean City store offerings for May 2!
For those who would like to explore some of the offerings of the usual block party street vendors, OCNJ Chatter has posted an event link where block party vendors from years past can post their websites and you can peruse the options of your favorite block party street vendors!
Both of these avenues make it possible for you to support local brick-and-mortar shops as well as the annual block party vendors who look forward to this event each year as a way to gain exposure and sell their creative products to the masses.
Get ready to take a bite out of your favorite donut from Browns Restaurant when the eatery reopens for the season on May 15!
Browns Restaurant will be open from 7 a.m.-noon, starting on May 15. The restaurant, located at St. Charles and Boardwalk, will offer breakfast meals and donuts for curbside pickup. The hours/days of operation will change as the season progresses and new standards set in due to the evolving health crisis at hand.
Whether you’ve been craving your favorite honey donuts from Browns or can’t wait to indulge in their breakfast meals once again, May 15 will be here before you know it.
Don’t miss the opportunity to savor the sweet treats from Browns “Almost Famous” Donuts as we head into summer!
As we get ready to head into May, many seasonal restaurants in Ocean City will be opening their doors to the public and offering takeout and/or delivery until the coronavirus pandemic has passed and in-person restaurant dining can occur once again.
Here’s a list of restaurants that are getting ready to open their doors:
- 16th Street Seafood: 16th Street Seafood has a tentative opening scheduled for Friday, May 8, for takeout service.
- Island Grill: The Island Grill will be opening its doors on Friday, May 1, and will be open for curbside pickup and delivery, 4-7:30 p.m. daily.
- Bashful Banana: Bashful Banana will be open starting on Friday, May 1, for pickup and delivery. Days/hours of operation will be Friday through Sunday, 8 a.m.-8 p.m. Delivery orders start at 11 a.m. and stop at 7:30 p.m. (minimum $25 order to deliver and will deliver to Ocean City, Somers Point, and Marmora). If picking up your order, you must access the Bashful Banana from the ramp behind Ocean Colony (until boardwalk reopens).
- The Farm Stand at 14th: As noted earlier this week, The Farm Stand at 14th will be opening its doors on Saturday, May 2, weather permitting, and will offer curbside pickup and delivery.
- Varsity Inn: Curbside pickup at Varsity Inn will start on Friday, May 1.
- Mike’s Seafood: Mike’s Seafood will open Friday, May 8, and be open on weekends for takeout, noon-7 p.m.
- Ike’s Famous Crabcakes: Ike’s Famous Crabcakes will be opening on Saturday, May 2. Order your Ike’s Famous Crabcakes culinary favorites that weekend and receive 15% off all online orders with the following code: BLOCKPARTY.
Stay tuned for further updates as more restaurants open their doors and offer their delicious culinary items for takeout and delivery!
The Farm Stand at 14th, known for its delicious and nutritious menu items, will be reopening on Saturday, May 2!
Once open, The Farm Stand at 14th, located below Bob’s Grill at 14th Street, will be offering curbside pickup and delivery services. The Farm Stand at 14th offers an eclectic array of items including vegetarian, vegan, and items for the meat lovers as well. Some of the items that will be gracing the menu at The Farm Stand at 14th include sweet potato tacos, fresh fruit and veggie smoothies (new this year!), and more.
Another new aspect to The Farm Stand at 14th this year is that Sam Freda of the former Soma Café will be joining the eatery as the new kitchen manager. And you’ll be happy to know that some of the culinary dishes you enjoyed at Soma Café will now be on the Farm Stand at 14th menu!
Opening day is May 2, weather permitting, and pickup will be available as well as delivery to Ocean City, Somers Point, and Upper Township. The eatery will be open for curbside pickup and delivery every day.
It’s April 1 and with the current coronavirus pandemic still firmly in place, you may be wondering what the latest information is regarding what’s open and what’s happening in Ocean City. Many of the local restaurants are still offering takeout and delivery services while some of the shops on the island have their online shopping sites in full swing. And other stores are helping you plan ahead for Easter with their takeout Easter-themed items, such as The Beachin’ Bakery who will be offering Easter cookies (and who made this extremely cool cake for my daughter’s birthday this past summer)!
There are many ways to continue to support local businesses while keeping social distancing and flattening the curve in mind. You can order takeout and delivery items, purchase gift cards to be used at a later time, or buy online from their virtual stores. Here are some of the shops and restaurants you can support in Ocean City along with what they’re currently offering:
- Beachin’ Bakery: Will soon be taking orders for Easter cookies. Check out their IG page for details (@thebeachinbakery) and their website, too.
- Sack ‘O Subs: Open for takeout/delivery.
- Barefoot Market: Open for takeout/delivery.
- Mallon’s: Open for curbside pickup on Easter weekend.
- Randazzo’s: Open for takeout/free delivery.
- Rauhauser’s: Open for curbside pickup/delivery.
- Dot’s Pastry Shop: Place orders this Friday by phone, 10:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., pay over the phone by credit card, and then pick up your order on Saturday or Sunday, 7 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Sandwich Bar: The Sandwich Bar will be open for takeout on Saturday, April 11. Call ahead and place your order/pay for your order by April 9. Find all of the details on their IG page (@sandwichbarocnj).
- Hobby Horse Ice Cream: For every $50 worth of gift certificates you purchase, you’ll receive a $10 gift certificate for free!
- Henry’s: Shop online at Henry’s and have the items shipped directly to your door.
- Leiki Boardshorts: Shop all of your favorite Leiki Boardshorts gear online.
- Grassroots Music Store: Because we all need music at a time like this, it’s good to know that Grassroots Music Store offers online shopping and shipping to your door.
- The Road: Open for curbside pickup/delivery.
- Bohemian Mama: Shop online at Bohemian Mama. You can grab a 25% off discount for a few days in the beginning of this month plus help to support CASA all throughout April. More details can be found in the recent article on OCNJHappenings.com.
These are just a few of the local businesses that you can lend your support to during these concerning times (and any time after as well).
Stay positive, stay healthy, and be well!